Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Macallan Ice Ball


Well this is not new but it has been around now for a number of years, once The Macallan officially launched their “Ice Ball” machine it became fashionable, sadly this is only a re hash and branding of the Japanese invention. I like sometimes a little cube in my drink however with the squarish corners it melts to fast, with this sphere its great as its slow, I hear a cry from the gallery “ice in Whisky?” yes in tropical climates I like it sometimes, not for tasting though.

 

The Macallan is a gimmicky machine made of heavy brass and the cost is heavy also in Hong Kong they gave 4 to hotel bars that are good sellers of The Macallan, I seen it in The InterContinental Grand Stanford at Tiffany’s New York Bar, it looks good and amazingly the staff are well versed in using it, I must add here this is a great bar with a great selection.

So back to the sphere, I looked around and finally picked myself up one, yes I got one, not the one at US$800 but US$6 and it works a treat, so much so that I have to fight with the kids as they love it in there drinks, soft drinks and water only.

 
 
 
 
 
The Great Marketing Engine

This is obviously a gimmick and marketing tool for The Macallan with the perfect serve slogan and you have to give it to them it works, By promoting their ice ball machine they are getting the attention of a newer market and younger with more disposable income.

 So here the bottom line is, it’s up to you if you like ice in your dram and have the cash for the show piece then this is your party piece, if you don’t have the cash or would rather use the money to buy new bottles then get the plastic mold for me I prefer the latter.
Enjoy!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment